Updated January 2024
Houston Moms has partnered with UTMB Health, our preferred provider for Southeast Houston, the Bay Area and Galveston, to provide vital information and insights to the Houston community. Check out our monthly videos featuring experts from UTMB Health, covering an array of healthcare needs, questions and concerns you may have for yourself and your family!
Cervical Cancer Awareness Month with Dr. Marisol Carpio-Solis
- What is cervical cancer
- Are there signs/symptoms or is it a more silent disease?
- What are the screening guidelines for this disease?
- At what age do screenings begin?
- How frequently do women need to be screened?
- What’s the process?
- If someone is diagnosed, are there treatments available?
- What are those like?
- What about prevention?
- Is the HPV vaccine the best/only option?
- Who qualifies for that shot?
- Any other potentials being explored?
RSV Immunizations for Babies with Dr. Manuela Murray
- Why the development of RSV immunizations for babies important?
- Why is it not appropriate to call this a “vaccine”
- What babies are eligible?
- Are we already seeing the positive impacts of this immunization this season?
- Are there side effects?
- How soon does the shot begin offering protection?
- Does the maternal shot offered at 32-36 weeks offer the same level of protection?
- How do the shots differ?
- Can patients opt for both?
Breast Health with Dr. Crystal Alvarez and Dr. Angelica Robinson
- What role do OBGYNs play in helping a patient stay on top of their breast health?
- Breast self-awareness seems to be the new guidance for women, rather than at-home self-exams. What does that mean and what does that entail?
- How early should women start getting mammograms and what is the recommended frequency?
For women with “dense” breast tissue, will measures like breast self-awareness and traditional screening mammograms still be effective?
- What about 3d mammograms? Who are those right for and when are they needed?
- In 2021, there was some guidance around timing your mammogram for a certain time AFTER receiving your COVID shot, is that guidance still valid, something folks need to be paying attention to?
- Can other things impact when you should time your mammogram appointment?
Sports Medicine and Injuries with Dr. Stacy Leung
- Are there “tiers” to sports injuries? When does an injury warrant a trip to the doc or worse the ER or urgent care?
- What can be handled on-site with coaches/team support staff?
- If this is the route taken, should follow-up happen with your child’s doc?
- If an athlete is injured during practice, what should happen?
- What about during a game/match? Anything different?
- Should parents be having certain conversations with coaches/support staff ahead of time to discuss how to handle injuries if they aren’t present when they occur?
- Are there conversations/things to do with your child’s primary care doctor ahead of participating in a sport?
- What about concussions? What do we need to know about those?
- Next steps and recovery if one occurred?
- How do you work with the orthopedic team if it’s determined more extensive surgery or rehabilitation is needed to resume play/participation?
Talking about those Transition Years with Dr. Barbara Calvert and Dr. Kim Gushanas
How can parents help their children prepare for the big transition years throughout school
-going to pre-k/kinder
-first year with standardized testing
-going into middle school
-going into high school
Change sometimes brings about stress, what does that look like in children of elementary school age?
Do the signs of stress change/evolve as the children grow up?
How can parents help their children cope with that stress?
What can children do on their own?
What are some signs there might be something more serious going on that may require the help of a professional like one of you?
Mental Health Awareness Month Panel with Houston Moms Contributors and Dr. Kimberlyn Robinson & Dr. Leila Wood
For Mental Health Awareness month, we wanted to bring together some of our Houston Moms contributors along with two professionals with UTMB Health, talking about mom stress, coping mechanisms, the invisible load, and more.
Learn more about menopause and hysterectomies with Dr. Villareal. Some incredible questions are asked that really break down women’s experiences and changes as the get older and their bodies continue to mature.
Cardiac Arrest Awareness
with Dr. Aly
In light of the recent collapse of Demar Hamil during a Monday Night Football game, due to cardiac arrest, many of us are concerned about heart health. Be sure to watch this important video that touches on the difference of cardiac arrest vs a heart attack, what parents should keep in mind as it relates to cardiac arrest, what an AED is specifically, and what questions you should ask your primary care physician and coaches of athletes.
Holiday Safety Chat
with Dr. Bindi Naik-Mathuria
While we’re all so excited for the holidays and the season of giving, check out these safety tips regarding toys, gifts and holiday foods, along with travel safety and avoiding all the bugs and viruses that try to put a damper on the holidays! Be safe and be well, Houston Moms!
Holiday Safety Chat
with Dr. Yusif Hajiyev
Nipple and Areola Tattoos for Breast Cancer Survivors
with Nurse Practitioner Jill Resendez & Tina Herring
This is an incredibly informative video! Hear how Nurse Practitioner Jill Resendez is helping “close the loop” with breast cancer survivors, one strategically placed tattoo at a time. Her former patient Tina Herring also shares her personal story and how the completion of her reconstruction journey helped in her healing process and feeling whole again.
Declining Vaccination Rates & Health Guidelines
with Dr. Lauren Goodman
Keeping up to date regarding health guidelines and vaccinations is made easy when we chat with UTMB’s Dr. Lauren Goodman. Check out this conversation to ensure you are informed and ready to make the best health decisions for you and your family.
Pediatric Eye Care
with Dr. Ashton Ehlers
Setting up a solid eye care routine can be a great step toward a successful school year and an even more successful life. Dr. Ehlers is sharing much needed information about pediatric eye care!
Mommy Makeovers & Non-Surgical Cosmetic Options
with Dr. Linda Phillips and Dr. Kathleen Kroger
Moms aren’t always completely happy with their bodies, pre or post babies. But there are options! Check out this chat as Co-Owner, Meagan Clanahan, explores Mommy Makeovers and what non-surgical options are available for moms to help then feel better about the skin they’re in!
Puberty, Adolescence, and Birth Control
with Drs. Auslander and Calasanz
Whew, what a topic! And most parents really don’t realize how or when or what to expect as our children grow toward adulthood. This is a must-watch as these incredible UTMB Physicians give us some much needed answers about such a complex time in our parenthood journeys!
Seasonal Allergies with Dr. McCracken
Potty Training Tips with Dr O’Donohoe
Potty training is one of the biggest parenthood woes, but it doesn’t have to be. In this month’s video with UTMB Health, get some helpful tips from Dr. O’Donohoe that will make the process much easier!
High-Risk Pregnancies with Dr. Thao Vu
For our February Monthly Health video with UTMB Health, we are discussing all things high-risk pregnancy with Dr. Thao Vu, board-certified OBGYN at UTMB’s Clear Lake campus. In this video, we’ll discuss what is considered a high-risk pregnancy and how to get the care you need.
Selecting an OB with Drs. Muruthi and Robinson
UTMB Patient, Taylor Thurstonson
COVID Vaccines for Kids with
Dr. Elizabeth Rodriguez Lien
We have all been wading through this COVID mess for the past two years, and now that the vaccine is available for kids, ages 5-11, there are a lot of questions. Join in on this discussion about what the vaccine and what it means for our children.
Dealing with Picky Eaters with Dr. Amber Hairfield
Hot topic during this holiday season… Picky eaters! Learn some tips & tricks from pediatrician, Dr. Amber Hairfield, about how to deal with kids who simply don’t want to eat their share of a variety of foods.
Breast Cancer Awareness
with Dr. Colleen Silva & Tammi Moran
Take a like at our discussion with Dr. Silva, Medical director of UTMB’s Breast Health and Imaging Center, and her former patient, Tammi Moran, offering valuable and possibly life-saving tips for you and your loved ones.
Adolescent Gynecology with Dr. Joyce Muruthi and
Dr. Parin Patel
Sports Physicals with Dr. Namita Bhardwaj
Spotlight on Urology & Urogynecology with
Dr. Laith Alzweri & Dr. Ricshonda “Nickie” Milburn
Sleep?! What’s that, right? Dr. Priya Kalia with UTMB Health sits down with co-owner Meagan Clanahan to discuss all things sleep related:: Why is sleep important? Optimal sleep times/quantities for each age & stage? How can we sleep better, especially as busy parents? Pandemic sleep – how do we mitigate that? With the time change coming, how do we get back into our routine, especially if traveling during spring break? And some great advice from Dr. Kalia as it relates to sleep training, routines, and SIDS.
Women’s Heart Health Awareness with Dr. Rafic Berbarie
It’s National Heart Health Month! Houston Moms is delighted to introduce you to Dr. Rafic Berbarie from UTMB Health as we discuss risk factors for heart disease, signs and symptoms, where to go for help, and how to mitigate your heart disease risk. This is a *MUST SEE* for any woman and mother in our community.
Congenital Heart Defects/Disease with Dr. Ashraf Aly
Is the Covid 19 Vaccine Safe in Pregnancy?
Website | (800) 917-8906
The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB Health) system of care includes hospitals and emergency departments on four campuses, a network of primary and specialty care clinics, urgent care and walk-in services, and collaborations with physicians throughout the region. UTMB Health serves patients throughout Texas, and features an extensive network of primary and specialty care clinics and centers that complement hospitals on three campuses.
Check out UTMB’s various locations
around the Houston area: