As the child of immigrants, I never got the chance to know my maternal grandparents. I missed out on the opportunity to form bonds and loving relationships with them simply due to lack of proximity. That’s why it is such a joy to see my children grow up with both sets of grandparents living close by. My kids are so lucky to have loving grandparents that are there to cheer them on through every stage of childhood. If your children have loving grandparents in their lives, you know how wonderful it is to have these special intergenerational relationships present in the family structure.
Here in the United States, we celebrate Grandparents Day on the first Sunday after Labor Day. This year, the special day falls on September 10, 2023. How can we celebrate these incredible folks in our lives?
- Grandparents are natural storytellers and teachers. They have so much lived experience to share! Strike up conversation with this Grandparents’ Day Interview printable from Giggles Galore. There’s also a great writing activity if you want to take it further!
- Ask the grandparent to give a lesson on their favorite hobby. I guess mine will be hitting a bowling alley or the putting green!
- Play tourist in your own town and spend time engaging in fun, local activities together.
- Plan a blast-from-the-past day with all of their favorite activities: play a card/board game, jam out to songs from their youth, or cook a special recipe together.
- Host a mini family reunion by inviting extended family over for dinner. Even your youngest children will be able to help plan and prepare the meal!
- Book a family photography session to capture memories!
- Hit the road! Take a day trip for a nice change of pace! Might I suggest visiting Brenham for some Bluebell ice cream?
- Look outward: lend a hand and volunteer together. There are many opportunities available around town, and showing service to others can be such a fulfilling experience.
- Take a class together. Whether you’re practicing yoga or creating art or working with pottery– enjoying a class together is a terrific way to bond.
- There are many older folks in the community that may not have any grandchildren or extended family. As a family, consider going to visit an assisted living center to provide companionship to senior citizens.
What else would you add to this list? Let us know in the comments below!
10 Sweet Books Featuring Grandparents:
- Amah Faraway
- Bindu’s Bindis
- Tofu Takes Time
- Charlie & Mouse & Grumpy: Book 2
- When Grandma Gives You A Lemon Tree
- A Grand Day
- Plátanos Are Love
- Drawn Together
- The Truth About Grandparents
- The Hello, Goodbye Window
Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates and other Affiliate Programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com, Target.com, Nordstrom, ABC Mouse, and other affiliate sites.